NATIONAL – Is your condo association run by a ‘bully board’?
Unlike typical renters, most homeowners simply cannot pick up and move when a problem exists. They are tethered to their real estate – and often tied to a 30-year mortgage as well.
Escaping Condo Jail, a newly published 600-page book about community association living, co-authored by Chicago Realtor Sara Benson and this writer, examines a nationwide random sampling of owner complaints that include, but are not limited to, the following issues…
- Cigarette smoke from a neighboring unit infiltrates ducts and electrical sockets, sickening an asthmatic.
- A “neighbor from hell” uses a 150-pound Rottweiler to frighten and intimidate residents.
- Organized crime thugs extort protection fees from homeowners.
- A roach infestation of “biblical proportions” from a hoarder’s unit contaminates neighboring units and renders them uninhabitable.
- A cell phone tower installed on top of a penthouse unit continuously awakens its residents at 3 a.m. with violent shaking of the ceiling. Read more: